The Health & Safety at Work 2015 Act requires employers to take responsibility for ensuring that employees and other people at the workplace are safe. Actions taken at Paihia School will ensure the Health and Safety of pupils will be afforded the same concern. Compliance with the Ministry of Education Code of Practice for physical standards of Health and Safety will also be met within this policy.
The board of trustees is committed to ensuring the health and safety of all workers, students, visitors and contractors by complying with relevant health and safety legislation, regulations, New Zealand standards, and approved codes of practice.
The board of trustees is committed to providing and maintaining a safe and healthy workplace for all workers, students, and other people in the workplace. We will achieve this through:
- making health and safety a key part of our role
- working with our workers to improve the health and safety system at our school
- doing everything reasonably possible to remove or reduce the risk of injury or illness
- making sure all incidents, injuries and near misses are recorded in the appropriate place
- investigating incidents, near misses and reducing the likelihood of them happening again
- having emergency plans and procedures in place
- training everyone about hazards and risks so everyone can work safely
- providing appropriate induction, training and supervision for all new and existing workers
- helping workers who were injured or ill return to work safely
- making sure contractors and sub-contractors working at the school operate in a safe manner.
All workers are encouraged to play a vital and responsible role in maintaining a safe and healthy workplace through:
- being involved in improving health and safety systems at work
- following all instructions, rules, procedures and safe ways of working
- reporting any pain or discomfort as soon as possible
- reporting all injuries, incidents and near misses
- helping new workers, staff members, trainees and visitors to the workplace understand the safety procedures and why they exist
- reporting any health and safety concerns or issues through the reporting system
- keeping the work place tidy to minimise the risk of any trips and falls
- wearing protective clothing and equipment as and when required to minimise your exposure to workplace hazards.
Others in the workplace
All others in the workplace including students and visitors are encouraged to:
- follow all instructions, rules and procedures while in the school grounds
- report all injuries, incidents and near misses to their teacher or other staff members
- wear protective clothing and equipment as and when required to minimise your exposure to hazards while learning
Students are provided with basic health and safety rules, information and training and are encouraged to engage in positive health and safety practices.
The Paihia School BOT is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy working environment for the safety of our employees, students and other persons in our place of work.
Health and safety is everyone’s responsibility.